Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

books, and bags, and bears! oh my!

One of my favorite things about being Miss New York Teen 2012 is being able to continue to do great service projects in my community!

My first service activity was donating over 2,000 books and school supplies, that were donated by National American Miss New York contestants, to my nonprofit organization S.P.A.R.K. 

The supplies were then sorted and donated to various organizations around Staten Island including Against Da Grill, where underpriviledged children received the school supplies and books just in time for school to start.

Thank you to NAM New York Contestants for their generous donations.

I love National American Miss because of it's emphasis on community service. Because each contestant can make a difference by donating a book or bear it really highlights the fact that you don't need a crown or a banner to make a difference. I truly believe that. Anybody can make a difference if they want to. That's why S.P.A.R.K. has endured. I will stick with S.P.A.R.K. far beyond my reign and pageant career. And thats the beauty of National American Miss: Girls empowered enough to make a positive difference in the world and the lives of others, long after they step off that NAM stage. 

(Please excuse the messy garage and lack of good pictures. Family wedding madness may have contributed to lack of creativity and planning ahead in the picture documentation process.)





"Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served. But all other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy."  

-Mahatma Gandhi 

- Shelley


No comments:

Post a Comment