Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

let's light the night.


     After the Columbus Day Parade, it was off to the Light the Night Walk at Midland Beach! The Light the Night walk benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, an organization close to my heart. It was such a powerful and moving experience, being their among all the survivors, families, fighters, and supporters. Everybody is so positive and hopeful, it is so contagious. Some of the people I met left me speechless; they are so strong and courageous and have accomplished great things and overcome many obstacles. 
      Each walker receives a balloon with a light in it. At the start of the walk they ask you to raise your balloon if you are a survivor, fighter, or a supporter of fighting against cancer. When people raised their balloons at the end, in a promise to stick together, it gave me chills to see so much drive and determination. At the end of the walk, walkers put their balloons on the fence as a symbol of hope and light. The fence was so bright and symbolic of all the people we have lost to cancer, the people fighting, and the families and friends who are here to join the cause. It was such a beautiful sight, and we really did Light the Night.
      I volunteered in the VIP tent with teams that had raised over 10k. I got to meet the lovely St. Claire's cheerleaders who did a phenomenal job fundraising. I also got to reconnect with my SI Pageant Queens, Jamie Macchia, Miss Staten Island 2012, and Alexa Moley, Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen 2012. These girls are fabulous and were part of the Miss Staten Island's Angels team that raised money in memory of Dominic LaForgia, a former SI Tech student who passed away from leukemia. 
     I also got a chance to speak to many of the other volunteers there. I love talking about National American Miss and reversing a lot of the stereotypes people have about pageants. When I tell people what NAM is, how it has changed me, and what it does for girls all over the country, everyone is surprised. They always tell me that it is so great to see "good" pageants for girls that are emphasizing the right values. 
     That night it hit me, my appearances accomplish so much more than I even realize. I get to support great causes, help great organizations, change stereotypes about scholarship pageants, meet inspirational people, and feel a sense of accomplishment and bliss. It is healthy for my soul to give back to others and give back to a fabulous system that has changed me forever.









"Always render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be." 
-Og Mandino


-Shelley



No comments:

Post a Comment