Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

what's in a name?

As I write this, I am currently munching on my newest addiction: dark chocolate covered cranberries. I think I'm in love (sorry to anyone following me on Instagram). But,

Why Sparkles and Service?

     I love the word spark. That is probably the reason why S.P.A.R.K.'s acronym is such. But the word spark is short, sweet, simple and implies that this is just the beginning, and that the possibilities are endless. A spark may be small, but it can ignite a fire. And at S.P.A.R.K., that's exactly what we hope to do- we want to ignite the spark of inspiration in our youth and help turn that spark into a fire, a fire that consumes their lives and helps them find a greater purpose in their lives.
     Sparkles is also indicative of the "sparkley" crown I am honored to wear this year. The crown is a symbol of hope to little girls all across the world, and with this crown, it is my duty to inspire as many people as I can with the message of National American Miss and S.P.A.R.K. This year, I will get to "sparkle" across the great state of New York, California, and wherever my journey takes me. And since  "sparkles and service" permeate every aspect of my life, I will continue sparkling even after my reign is over.
 (creepy: on Z100 they JUST asked listeners to text in the word "spark". Maybe that's some sort of good sign from the universe.)

    The service part is an innate desire to make an impact with my year, my resources, and my ideas. Service comes in the form of doing my duty to empower girls, teens, and children to set goals and become confident in themselves and their abilities. It is more than just community service- it is a commitment to my duty as a young woman, as a daughter, as a student, as a dreamer, as a sister, as a friend, and as a human being. It is giving my all in everything I do, keeping my integrity, and maintaining my values.
SPARKing Self Esteem at the Staten Island Children's Museum!

So, now that you know why I stand for "sparkles and service",  FOLLOW me:
on Twitter: @shelley_jain
on Instagram: @shelleyjain

and FOLLOW S.P.A.R.K.:
on Twitter: @SPARKSelfEsteem
on Instagram: @SPARKSelfEsteem

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
 - Winston Churchill

Stay SPARKling,
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment