Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

reflect.

I will never forget my own 9/11 story.

     I was let out of second grade early, we all waited in the courtyard, confused and excited that school had let out early. Then some of the older kids started talking about hearing bangs, the teachers refused to tell us anything, and all we could do was wait on. One by one parents started to pick their kids up and when my mom picked me up, I asked her what happened.
     I remember her telling me that something terrible happened, but she didn't know everything so we had to wait until we got home.
     At home the TV was on and everyone was glued to the set. We watched as the second plane hit the second tower. I remember being scared and confused. We watched the towers fall, the country almost reach a stand-still, the fierceness of ever single person who refused to let this tragedy knock them down.
My uncle ran through the door and started screaming about what he had seen first-hand, en route to the Manhattan via the Staten Island Ferry - a plane crashing into the Twin Towers.
     The news stayed on in my house for hours, as my family followed the stories of the innocent men and women that lost their lives, brave men and women that valiantly risked and gave their lives to ensure the safety of others.
     I remember learning for the first time how much hate was in the world, how some people tried to hurt others because they didn't see eye to eye, how quick your life could be over. I remember hearing the sad stories, the miracle stories, the happy stories. But most of all, I remember the sense of resilience that filled my house, my school, my city, my state, and my nation - never will we forget the tragedies that took place 11 years ago, and never will we be weakened by them. We will not, can not let anything tear us down, for we are New Yorkers, we are Americans, we are taller, we are stronger.

     I am proud to have the honor of representing the great state of New York and the great New York City this year. Born and raised in New York City, I am honored to call myself a true New Yorker and proud of how we have stayed united and strong through all the attempts that have been made to abolish our resolve. We have learned to reflect upon what our true priorities in life are, and reflect upon what it means to be an American.
When we reflect on the events that transpired, it makes us stronger.

Never forget the people that gave and give their lives for our freedom and safety everyday and every night. 
Never forget the power of unity, the importance of friendship, the necessity of love.
Never forget September 11, 2001.
Never forget.
Reflect.




Shelley Jain

No comments:

Post a Comment