Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

my favorite things.

I love NAM and I love making little kids smile. 

Combining two of my favorite things at the NAM New Jersey Pageant was so much fun!

My first appearance after my crowning, this was certainly memorable. I was only able to stay for the Princess pageant due to the hectic life of a college pageant queen. However, the Princess division is my favorite division of girls to talk to (they are probably the most adorable things that roam the Earth), so I felt a little better about heading back to the college life.

My favorite thing to do after a princess pageant is go inspire the little girls clinging to their mothers and fathers and looking so sad that it makes your heart melt. I march right up to them and ask if I can have to honor of taking a picture with them when they are ready (so far my success rate is 100%). I tell them my own NAM story about trying and never giving up. I also congratulate them on everything they have learned this weekend. They start off in reluctant  acceptance with my encouragement, but then are convinced of their own future by my own NAM story of almost a decade.

That is one of the core values of S.P.A.R.K. -  teens raising self-esteem in young children through positive influences. I try to connect with the girls and give them some encouragement for the future, and each time parents chime in with me about never giving up and pursuing your goals. I am so thankful to the way National American Miss changes the lives of girls and their families all over the nation - creating not only inspired individuals but individuals with a sense of purpose and action. These girls are the future and NAM does amazing things to change their lives for the better. I am so honored that I can contribute in even a piece of the positive influence of a girl's NAM experience. 

I don't think anything will replace the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction I get when I leave a younger child with a light of inspiration and wonder in their eyes at the limitless possibilities of their future. If I can raise somebody's self-esteem by even a notch - I know that my work and life is heading in the right direction.  

I think everyone, especially teens have the power to positively impact somebody's life. I believe in the power of a mentor - the power of hope and dreaming. I know that every teen who has the opportunity to give back to their community by positively impacting somebody's life is blessed with the ability to change a life. That kind of opportunity cannot afford to be missed, and it can most certainly be created. Making a positive influence starts with creating a positive mindset. It starts with believing you have the power to make a difference. It starts with YOU.


SPARK on.

Few of the girls I had the privilege of making smile at the NAM NJ Princess Pageant. 
(There were lots of high-fives and hugs before and after the pictures shown below.)





Getting to reconnect with some lovely NAM queens:



"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

Shelley Jain

No comments:

Post a Comment